- WLM Backup Scripts
- This is a very simple method to backup/restore your backgrounds,
emoticons, scenes, sounds, display pictures and winks to a flash drive or
cloud folder. This way you have one place for all of this data so if you
install MSN on another computer, you can just restore it and get your stuff
back. Put the Batch files in the place you want to store your master copy.
- These work for 8.x and later:
xcopy /s /i %localappdata%\Microsoft\Messenger\firstname.lastname@example.org\ObjectStore
- xcopy /s /i ObjectStore %localappdata%\Microsoft\Messenger\email@example.com\ObjectStore
- On XP, use
%appdata% instead. 7.x data can be found in
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN
Messenger. There will be a folder with a number for its name to represent
your account. Note that the format for custom emoticons is different between
7.x and 8.x, so 8.x emoticons unfortunately can't be restored into 7.x or
seemingly vice versa.
- A Windows Live Messenger 2009 batch file installer with Movie
Maker & Photo Gallery 2012, and automatic setting of compatibility mode so
WLM will think it's running on Vista or earlier.
There is more information in the folder. As 2009 is pretty buggy under
compatibility mode I'd actually suggest to keep it disabled.
(This means that WLM will stay in the taskbar and not minimize to the system
tray. This is not a bug, but entirely Microsoft's decision for some reason.
Apparently, this was the behavior through WLM 2012.)
- My guide to
Messenger status integrations (NINA Forum)
- ..and Multi Messenger Presence, a tool that sets your status
based on window titles.
- Show your Escargot status online. This was a little weekend
experiment with Messenger Plus!, Flask and repl.it for the backend.